I take your privacy and my responsibility to protect your information seriously. If you have any questions or concerns about privacy or data protection, please contact me (Jake Nicholls) by email at email@example.com
What type of information I collect
I collect information from you when you correspond with me by post, phone, email or via my website, and when you enter into a contract with me. The information that I collect might include:
- your name,
- postal address,
- email address,
- phone number,
- information related to your enquiry, such as the nature of your manuscript.
What I do with your information
I use the information that you have given me in order to:
- respond to your queries or requests for information regarding my services;
- provide you with a service and allow me to contact you while an editing project is ongoing;
- keep internal accounting records and comply with HMRC requirements.
I will not share this information with any third parties unless you give me permission to do so, or I am required to do so by law. I will never use your personal data for marketing or promotional purposes without your permission to do so.
How I store your information
I store the information that I collect from you on:
- a private, password-protected computer with an encrypted hard drive;
- an encrypted external hard drive, which is stored in a secure location;
- XILO (my website and email host), which is password-protected and has SSL-certification;
- PayPal, a password-protected online payment service (for clients who don’t wish to use direct bank transfer).
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access: you have the right to ask me for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification: you have the right to ask me to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask me to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure: you have the right to ask me to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing: you have the right to ask me to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing: you have the the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability: you have the right to ask that I transfer the information you gave me to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, I have one month to respond to you. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to make a request.
I use traffic analytics cookies to identify which pages are being used on my website. This helps me analyse data about web page traffic and improve my website in order to tailor it to customer needs. I only use this information for statistical analysis purposes. IP addresses are anonymised so that individuals cannot be identified. The statistical data is retained for a minimal period only.
If you wish to restrict cookies then you can do this through your browser settings or by using additional browser software such as Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout). For information on how to control cookies on your mobile device please refer to your handset manual.
My website may contain links to other websites. I am not responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting these sites. The inclusion of any link to another website does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed on it.
Last updated: July 2020