ACCELERATE: 6 to 8 months of intensive revision
The ACCELERATE option is an intensive period of guided revision over the course of 6 to 8 months. It includes a manuscript evaluation followed by a round of in-depth development. You will also have access to coaching throughout.
Here's what you get
- One-on-one guidance over an extended period of time, adding up to over a hundred hours of expertise.
- Targeted, personalised feedback that takes into account your creative goals.
- A structured approach that keeps you motivated and moving forward: you choose a pace that suits you and I'll help you to stick to it.
- Full control over your manuscript at all times: I'll advise you and cheer you on, but you're the one making all of the decisions and I'll have your back whichever path you choose to take.
- A stronger manuscript, new skills and more confidence in yourself as a writer.
The ACCELERATE package includes:
- A manuscript evaluation. You'll get an extensive editorial report with suggestions and guidance on how you could approach your revisions.
- A full round of in-depth developmental editing. You'll get an extensive revision letter plus detailed in-text guidance throughout the entirety your manuscript.
- Personalised lists of resources and reading recommendations to inspire you and get your creative juices flowing.
- 5 additional coaching hours while you work on your revisions, and the option to add on more hours at any time.
How it works
Example timeline of the ACCELERATE package:
The process begins with a manuscript evaluation: I'll read through your manuscript and give you guidance on the macro-level storytelling elements such as structure, pacing, character arcs and worldbuilding. This will take 2–3 weeks, after which I'll send you an extensive report that details my editorial suggestions for your manuscript.
You'll then have a window of time (you decide the duration when booking; a minimum of 2 months is recommended) to look through my feedback and make changes to your manuscript. You can use the built-in coaching hours with me at any time if you'd like to talk through your revisions, need some encouragement or just want someone to bounce ideas off.
The next stage is a full, in-depth development round: I'll dive into your manuscript for an extensive look at all aspects of your novel, from the first page to the last. My guidance will focus on a mixture of storytelling and writing craft elements. This will take 10–14 weeks, after which I'll send you:
You'll then have a month during which I'll be on hand for more coaching while you look through my feedback and start to make more changes to your manuscript.
Jake took into account how I as the writer would feel about certain changes, which took a lot of pressure out of the experience and I never felt like I was being shunned for not making an obvious choice. Furthermore, they provided extra resources on where to look for further research into topics relevant to not only writing, but specifically to the themes of my manuscript. I was also provided with an outline of how long the edit would take and was updated with the manuscript’s progress, and the final edit was received in a timely manner with everything explained very clearly. Future Worlds Editing has given me the best experience with editing; I couldn’t imagine getting anything better. – Jennifer Bates, fantasy author
I have expertise in the following areas, for both adult and young adult audiences:
Hard, soft, scrambled, fried: I’m into all types of science fiction, from near future to far future, pre-apocalyptic to post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk to biopunk to any other type of punk you can come up with. Space opera, military SF, sci-fi horror, sci-fi thrillers, dystopian… You name it, I’m here for it.
SF authors whose work I love include: Yoon Ha Lee, Nnedi Okorafor, Ann Leckie, Iain M. Banks, Becky Chambers and Tade Thompson.
I enjoy fantasy at all altitudes: whether it’s high, low or wavering somewhere in the middle. Epic fantasy, portal fantasy, urban fantasy, contemporary fantasy, historical fantasy, mythic fantasy, science fantasy, weird fantasy (the weirder the better!), dark fantasy—the list goes on…
Fantasy authors whose work I love include: N.K. Jemisin, Terry Pratchett, Marlon James, Ursula K. Le Guin, China Miéville and Tamora Pierce.
I’m mostly into horror that overlaps with science fiction and fantasy, and particularly books with elements of body horror, bio horror or gothic horror.
Some of my favourite fiction that contains horror elements includes work by: Caitlin Starling, Kirsty Logan, Rory Power, Sarah Perry, Andrew Michael Hurley and Alice Thompson.
Mix any of these speculative subgenres with queer and trans characters, and you’ve got extra awesomeness! I also enjoy fiction that centres on LGBTQ+ experiences, no matter the genre.
Some of my favourite non-speculative LGBTQIA+ fiction includes work by: Akwaeke Emezi, Alice Oseman, Mason Deaver, Dean Atta, Nina LaCour and Michelle Tea.
|up to 80,000 words||£2382|
|over 120,000 words||Please contact me for a quote|
Get in touch
In one small step, take a giant leap for your manuscript! Use this form to contact me (Jake) with any questions you have about the process and to find out when I’m available to set out on your journey with you. It's really helpful if you can include the following information:
I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Looking for something else?